Monday, September 21, 2009

Country Mouse

Woke up this morning to rain, wind, cold, and yuck....just 10 hours later, I'm sitting in a sweltering, humid motel room. Here's the scoop....I left Cheyenne around 8:00 this morning, headed to DIA to catch a flight for an Urban Drainage Design class for work. It rained most of the way to Denver. Ok, girl- not-knowing-the-roads, combined with the spray from traffic, was rather interesting. After getting to DIA and getting my boarding pass and passing through security and getting to the gate, all of which wasn't a bad ordeal, I have plenty of time to kill at the gate. Did a lot of people watching.... I had an aisle seat on the plane, wish I would have had a window seat, but it seemed like there were a bunch of clouds out there anyway. The plane landed in Atlanta and then the jetway had issues, so we had to taxi to another gate...so there was about another hour on the plane with some rather impatient people. I get to the main terminal, get my luggage, and get on the bus to the rental car area. The driver said they've got massive amounts of rain....18-24 inches in the last 7 days or something like that and 10 people have died so far. He said "they" were saying it's a 100-year storm. So...everybody's a hydraulic engineer! :) By now it's dark here in Atlanta. I manage to find the motel...I may not have had the best driving skills in getting there. The room is small, mostly taken up by the king size bed and HOT! I crank the A/C. I use the only mode of transportation I haven't used today (or so it feels)....my feet, and walk across the street to a Subway. Off to sleep on sheets I keep telling myself are nice and bleach-y clean and take a shower with soft water that I'm SO not used to...I feel slimy.

No comments:

Post a Comment