Saturday, June 26, 2010

I Scream for Ice Cream

One of the guys I work with and his wife are expecting another baby in November. They just found out that it's a girl. So I figured I ought to start the quilt I am planning on making. I found a pattern I had called "Twin Sisters" that has a 'positive' and a 'negative' block. I'm doing it in pinks and purples. I haven't sewn since about February and it felt good to dig out the sewing machine, who was once my constant companion, and get to manipulating fabric again. I've always been fascinated with taking fabric, cutting it up, rearranging it and sewing it back together to get something so totally different than a big piece of plain ol' fabric.

It's amazing how much faster laundry goes when it hang it outside on the line to dry. No waiting for the dryer. And the smell is always so....wonderful! And, heck, it all looks nicely ironed.

Every once in awhile I'll get on a kick of making my own ice cream. The recipe I found is super simple and I don't have to cook any darn eggs:
2 C. milk (I use whole)
2 C. whipping cream
1 C. sugar
some vanilla extract
Put in all in the canister of an ice cream maker and in just 30 minutes you have ice cream. I took half of it and left it plain and the other half I mixed in fresh raspberry puree. Jeremy doesn't like running across frozen fruit in ice cream, so I make sure it was super smooth. It's a nice afternoon treat as we have yet to get our swamp cooler put in the window and it's been upper 80's lately. Usually the swamp cooler gets put in too darn early and we have to cover up the opening. Maybe when Jeremy's gets off his long stretch of nights. Until then we just grin and bear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment