Thursday, August 22, 2013

Soap

As you have probably figured out, I'm somewhat crunchy.  I use cloth diapers, make laundry soap, etc, etc.  I'm not sure how I stumbled across making your own soap, but I did.  I researched, looked at recipes, and read many how-to articles.  I knew I wanted to give cold process soap a try.  I also wanted to do it when the girls weren't around because of the lye that's involved in the process.  While the girls were gone last week, I gave it a try.  I decided to make lavender scented soap.
 Here's the oils I used, olive, castor, coconut and shea butter.  And my awesome mold, which is just a loaf pan.  The weather held out and didn't rain and I was able to mix up the lye solution and do all the mixing outside.
Here's my little bars of soap after they set up in the mold for 24 hours and are sliced and set to dry for 4-6 weeks.  Some of the ends weren't that pretty, but who cares what it looks like, as long as it gets the dirt off.  If you'd like a bar in 6 weeks, lemme know...looks like I have plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment