Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Garden

After my husband planted my garden in May because I was sick, I will admit I haven't given it much TLC.  Jeremy's dutifully been watering it.  We had a bumper crop of peas which have pretty much done their thing.  I did notice some new pea blossoms; maybe they'll give it another go?  We planted a pumpkin plant outside the garden enclosure that has taken up an area about the size of the garden!  It has quite a few tiny pumpkins on it, hopefully we can get at least one good one.

 This is our broccoli, which we had never planted before.  I was wondering what it would look like or do when we got broccoli.  I was about to give up hope when Jeremy texted me a picture of baby broccoli yesterday...oh yeah!
 Our green beans are blooming right now with a few baby beans on there.  Can't wait for fresh green beans to go with dinner.
 The girls helped plant the garden...if you look closely at some of the previous pictures, there is broccoli with the corn and carrots and beans!  Anyway, carrot seeds are tiny and we seem to have them growing in clumps.  You can see the clump in the above picture.  We have several "clumps" of carrots.
 Our raspberries are going great guns behind the chicken coop.  They are flourishing yet again to due to a husband who has been watering religiously.  We get a few handfuls each night and you have to dig around inside the bushes to make sure you get all the juicy ripe ones.

I had to snap a few photos of the chickens.  The colorful feathered one is one of our roosters.  In our new batch of chickens we got this spring, it appears 3 of them have turned out to be roosters.  They are learned to crow and sound like they have laryngitis.  I have noticed in the last few days that you can tell their different "voices."  The new and old chickens are separated into different pens.  The far pen doesn't have wire over the top like the closer pen does.  Consequently, the new chickens have been getting up and roosting on the cross bracing.  This is one of our Easter egg chickens that is checking out the old chickens below.  We expect to get eggs from our new batch of chickens anytime now.

No comments:

Post a Comment