Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Study in Sock Heels

I was happily knitting along on a pair of socks and thought I'd try a short row heel.  Little did I remember that I apparently have fat ankles because that type of heel is quite tight around the ankle.  And so began the search for the ultimate heel.  I found one on knitfreedom.com which allowed for some increases...you know, for my fat ankles, hehe!  So I started a sock near the heel so I could do the heel and see how it fit.  Turned out the heel fit quite well, so I finished that sock and started it's mate in which I probably knit the fastest pair of socks in my life.  It took about 2 weeks, usually it'll take me a good month to whip out a pair of socks.  I'd really like to meet those women who say they can knit a pair in a day...that's probably all they did that day!
If you will notice, they have a little cable up the side of the leg, never have done one before so I thought I'd give it a try. 
 
I also found a heel by Cat Bordhi called the sweet tomato heel.  I tried that on the sock before this blue pair and I like the heel, nice and smooth, but I think I'm gonna have to do some increases before I do this heel as it has a similar problem to the short row heel, it's too tight.  (And that sock yarn was scratchy, so it may be abandoned).

No comments:

Post a Comment